May is Mental Health Awareness Month
May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and what appropriate timing it is in the middle of a pandemic. Mental health is highlighted like never before and is still only sometimes talked about.
- According to an Optum survey of the work/life effects of COVID-19, 51% of the respondents said their mental well-being was somewhat or much worse.
- A 2019 Working Minds survey revealed that 55% of respondents reported they were afraid to take the day off to tend to their mental health.
Mental health is a costly business expense, both in healthcare costs and productivity costs. Not to mention the human aspect of decreased mental health.
While mental health diagnoses continue to increase, you may know someone dealing with a mental health issue, and you may feel unequipped to help. We want to provide you with some resources to help feel more empowered to help or to simply understand.
There are a lot of resource options, so we tried to explain what each one is so that you can choose one that best applies to your situation. Please use these resources to help yourself and your employees.
- Information you could provide during rounding or huddles:
- Printable Infographic: Taking Charge of Your Mental Health
- Webinar opportunities:
- Strategies to Help Employees Cope, hosted by World Congress on May 20 from 12-1 pm, which includes new data related to stress, anxiety, resilience, and our ability to focus.
- Stress Management and Mental Health in a Changing Environment, hosted by the American Heart Association on May 19 from 12-1 pm. The webinar will explore resources available to companies to support employees during this time.
We understand that right now you’re likely concerned with working extra hours, working from home, furloughs or layoffs. It may not be the most appropriate time to hold a screening event or a lunch and learn.
Taking advantage of team huddles would be a great opportunity to show support by informing employees of your Employee Assistance Program resources or other local behavioral health resources.